How to Obtain an ED Visa For Thailand?

How to Obtain an ED Visa For Thailand?

Getting an ED visa is a compulsory administrative procedure if you are looking to do an internship in Thailand.

The process of getting a student visa (a non-immigrant ED visa) for Thailand can be simple as long as you know and follow all the rules.

One of the most important things to remember is that government officials know exactly what they are doing.

Therefore, instead of telling them how they should run things or why, you should ask them “how” you can do better. Keep this in mind and the entire process will be much easier for you.

Immigration rules can change very rapidly, which is why it is safer for you to apply for the educational visa before you arrive in Thailand.

More often than not, students attempt to prepare all the necessary documents in the last minute.

This may be a huge problem if you need to request for additional documents that would take time.

This article will be your guide to understanding the basic process of getting an ED visa for Thailand

Receiving the Letter of Admission

After your application is accepted, you will get an acceptance letter, which is typically called “Letter of Admission.”

This particular letter will be printed on the official letterhead of the university departs and signed by the managing official.

This verifies that you are accepted to the program and that you can start your studies at a given date.

The number of courses you will study in the semester will also be stated.

These details are extremely crucial as the Letter of Admission is the legal requirement for acquiring a student visa, and it will not allow for any loopholes and misinformation.

The student visa is a one-year visa, which is granted to individuals who are truly planning to study and not those who intend to stay in Thailand for a very long holiday.

For this reason, you have to register for at least three courses per semester, though you are safer with four courses per semester.

Make sure that your application clearly demonstrates your intent to study.

Most universities in Thailand provide courses that are stretched over the entire semester, which typically spans over the course of five months.

Although the university takes you in for a single course, you will not get the visa to stay that long in Thailand.

In these cases, you will have to get in touch with the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country to sort things out.

Applying For a Student Visa

Together with the Letter of Admission, a photocopy of your passport - which will be valid for at least six more months - and recent passport-size photos, you can now go to the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country to apply for the student visa.

Note that if you are already in Thailand when you get your letter, you need to understand a few things.

Citizens of certain countries can enter Thailand without a visa while those from other countries get a 60-day visa.

If you come to Thailand without any type of visa, you may have to leave the country to apply for a student visa from outside the country.

If you hold a 60-day tourist visa, however, you can apply for a student visa without having to leave Thailand within the first thirty days of your visa.

Keep in mind that the tourist visa has to be valid for at least twenty-one more days.

Otherwise, you will need to leave the country and apply again from other countries. Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, and Singapore are some nearby options to consider.

All the photocopies need to have your signature on them. Be sure to sign with blue ink to verify that your signature is real and not photocopied.

This may seem obvious, but make sure that you show your full face and do not wear sunglasses or a cap in your photographs.

Also, do not smile too much as this is an official photograph.

The number of photographs that you have to submit may vary from one embassy to another.

Bring four photographs just to be safe, though you may need more for any paper and permission that you will request in Thailand.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that some universities and colleges may not use the official government letterhead for their Letters of Admission.

In this case, the embassy or consulate will have to request the Letter of Admission again by fax.

Learn more about our internships!

No items found.